[Sca-cooks] Fair feast budget

Robin Carroll-Mann rcmann4 at earthlink.net
Wed Dec 1 17:43:52 PST 2004

-----Original Message-----
From: a5foil <a5foil at ix.netcom.com>

I do make things from scratch ahead of time if I can, mostly because of
quality rather than price. I find that making bread is not that great a
savings, because I don't use el cheapo flour.

Cynara

It may not be the ideal choice, but I've made feast bread from Costco all-purpose flour (under $5 for a 25-lb. bag).  My standard recipe is a basic Italian bread, taken from the Amy's Bread website:
http://www.amysbread.com/news_cucinaaug01.htm#rustic

It's made with a sponge, goes through several risings, and has a good flavor and texture.  I'm sure it would be even better made with bread flour, but as you say, that's costly.  In my immodest opinion, it's better than the store-bought loaves I've had at some feasts.

Lady Brighid ni Chiarain
Barony of Settmour Swamp, East Kingdom