[Sca-cooks] low/noncarb snacks.

Brett McNamara brettmc at gmail.com
Wed Dec 1 18:14:41 PST 2004

Heavy cream.  All the fat, none of the carbs.  Seriously, once you get
over the fat is bad rhetoric an entire class of food is open to your
diet plan.  Not that there isn't a lot of irony in having cheese and
butter on list that has nothing to spread it on.  Low carb makes eggs
your best friend.

Since the low carb snack thing moved and spawned, I might as well
share my response.

---------

Snacks!  This is a short list I amassed while doing the low carb thing.

Cheese, particularly a nice Armenian or middle eastern style string
cheese, beats the generic cheese stix, IMHO.  You can also make chips
from hard cheeses.

Jerky!  Be careful here, most of the commercial stuff has tons of
sugar.  However, with the will and a food dehydrator, crispy critter
nirvana can be yours.  Pepperoni chips are also quite good.  You can
render them on a sheet pan for fairly dry, portable food.

Pork rinds.  You'll either love em or hate em.  Ethic marts have a
more organic, toothsome version.

All these things have nutritive value and basically minimal
processing.  I believe that part of the success of low carb comes from
the inability to eat virtually anything in a 7-Eleven.  Overly
processed junk it probably bad, not matter how you look at it.

However, if your primary concern is carb count, there are tons of
energy snack bars out there, some of them quite good.

Hope this helps,
Brett  s.k.a. Wistan