[Sca-cooks] Background for 'Cthulu' rolls [OT} [Was: HAPPY THANKSGIVING]

Martin G. Diehl mdiehl at nac.net
Wed Dec 1 22:51:31 PST 2004

"Lonnie D. Harvel" wrote:

> Laura C. Minnick wrote:
>
> >  My sweetie made rolls- the traditional 'Cthulu' rolls,
> > with fangs and snakey tongues, and crescents. :-)
> > They were yummy.
> >
> OK. This requires explanation. ?
>
> Aoghann

OK ... I'll explain ... and, oh yeah, *Thanks for Asking* <g>

(1) H. P. Lovecraft (20 August 1890–15 March 1937)
	is known as a writer of horror fiction.
	"The H. P. Lovecraft Archive"
	http://www.hplovecraft.com/

(2) His first published work was, 1916, November:
	"The Alchemist" (The United Amateur, 16, No. 4)

(3) His works included references to "The Deep Ones",
	"The Elder Things" ... Cthulhu among them.

One web site states, "Of all the gods of Lovecraft's
	mythology, Cthulhu was the most dangerous.
	He waits in his submerged Pacific city of R'lyeh
	for the day when the stars are right and he will
	rise to take charge of the world."

(4) Settings (places) included
	"Innsmouth",
	Described as, "The mysterious, poverty-stricken
	town of Innsmouth lies like a decaying shipwreck
	on the edge of the Atlantic Ocean."

	"Miskatonic University",
	Where Science Meets The Mythos.

	From another web site, "This website is solely
	for the refabrication of the famous Miskatonic
	University in Arkham, Mass dedicated to the study
	of Science, Liberal Arts, Medicine, Law and most
	importantly Medieval Metaphysics.

If I may add a personal note, my one bumper sticker reads,

	"Miskatonic University Alumni Association"

(5) The notorious "Necronomicon"
	From THE HISTORY OF THE NECRONOMICON
	by Howard Phillips Lovecraft

	Original title Al Azif - azif being the word used
	by the Arabs to designate that nocturnal sound
	(made by insects) supposed to be the howling of
	daemons.

	Composed by Abdul Alhazred, a mad poet of Sanaa('), ...

(6) These ... aaaaaahh ... concepts ... have found or
	wormed their way into ...

	Movies; Please see, "A LOVECRAFT FILMOGRAPHY";
	http://www.yankeeclassic.com/miskatonic/dcommunications/films/thefilms00.htm

	Also, "Cast a Deadly Spell" (1991) in which,
	Fred Ward stars as a private eye named Harry Philip
	Lovecraft who lives in a 1940s Hollywood where
	everyone uses magic. David Warner hires Ward to
	retrieve his stolen copy of the Necronomicon so he
	can release the Old Ones. Not very Lovecraftian,
	despite all the references, but still fairly amusing

	Books by too many other authors to list here;

	Toys -- in particular, Plush Cthulhu is mentioned
	on over 5,500 web pages; about 21 of those pages
	mention the possibility of obtaining your very own,
	Plush Cthulhu in Plaid, Paisley, or even Rainbow.

	Songs (Filks)
	"Random Access" by the Phantom Websurfer
	http://tsat.transform.to/i.37/clm.37.links.html

	"Filks Man was not Meant to Know"
	http://www.sabledrake.com/2002/0205_cthulhu_filks.shtml

I hope that you now have more than enough information about
Cthulhu.

Vincenzo

--
Martin G. Diehl

http://www.renderosity.com/gallery.ez?ByArtist=Yes&Artist=MGD

Reality: That which remains after you stop thinking about it.
  inspired by P. K. Dick