[Sca-cooks] Bread thoughts

Johnna Holloway johnna at sitka.engin.umich.edu
Thu Dec 2 08:15:42 PST 2004

For those that want to drool over what bread ought to
be take a look at the list of six things mentioned here
http://www.zingermans.com/Category.pasp?Category=bread
(and yes people do budget to buy this for their feasts locally.)

We are lucky in that we have a number of artisan bakers that
bake real bread locally. Having baked whole wheat loaves for 225 in the past,
I can report that it can be done. But it takes the right recipe,
experience and a dedicated oven that works right.
You need all the supplies in bulk and ready to go.
Equipment helps. Having the large mixing bowls and the measuring cups
at hand speeds things along. Not having to wash up between batches helps.
Then you just devote a day to baking.
Don't plan to get anything else done. Also plan to have some way to store
and keep the bread when baked.

The question for that remains unanswered for those wanting true authenticity would be just how
fresh was bread at the medieval court feast? Those cooking in the
Jacobean style of 1604 at Hampton
Court in April made a big point in saying that the bread was baked and then
allowed to dry out prior to being served. So how much fresh bread was consumed?

The new edition of McGee On Food and Cooking has a number of things
to say on the subject of dough and bread and sourdough, but I'll leave
you all to read those sections yourselves. It would make a nice holiday
gift for most readers of this list.

Johnnae

Yes, some of the supermarkets do seem to be coming out with
"artisanal" breads. Shoprite and Stop-n-Shop, the two big
supermarket chains in my little corner of Ner Jersey  do
offer them. I brought a couple snipped
They tasted like waxed cardboard.
Maybe other parts of the country have better store bought
bread.snipped

Berelinde