[Sca-cooks] Useful things to do with fruitcake

lilinah at earthlink.net lilinah at earthlink.net
Thu Dec 2 10:44:10 PST 2004

Now, now. There *are* good fruitcakes. Just not the ones sold in supermarkets.

I had a fabulous one, oh, about 20 years ago, but the person who
brought it to the office party refused to give out the recipe. Alas.

It did *not* have nasty candied fruit in it. I assume that there can
be good candied fruit, but i further assume one has to candy it
oneself - so much of the commercial stuff has so many chemicals that
it doesn't taste like fruit anymore and only tastes of chemicals.

It was made with some number of dried fruits which were moist. It has
been so long i no longer remember what else it tasted like it had in
it. Some nuts, i think. But it was very very very yummy.

Anyone have a *good* fruitcake recipe with NO commercially candied
fruit, no maraschino cherries, no dried or candied pineapple in it,
and with a nice variety of dried fruit? Candied ginger is generally
delicious, so that's ok :-)

Anahita