[Sca-cooks] Useful things to do with fruitcake

Susan Fox-Davis selene at earthlink.net
Thu Dec 2 10:59:44 PST 2004

lilinah at earthlink.net wrote:

> Now, now. There *are* good fruitcakes. Just not the ones sold in
> supermarkets.
>
> I had a fabulous one, oh, about 20 years ago, but the person who
> brought it to the office party refused to give out the recipe. Alas.
>
> It did *not* have nasty candied fruit in it. I assume that there can
> be good candied fruit, but i further assume one has to candy it
> oneself - so much of the commercial stuff has so many chemicals that
> it doesn't taste like fruit anymore and only tastes of chemicals.
>
> It was made with some number of dried fruits which were moist. It has
> been so long i no longer remember what else it tasted like it had in
> it. Some nuts, i think. But it was very very very yummy.
>
> Anyone have a *good* fruitcake recipe with NO commercially candied
> fruit, no maraschino cherries, no dried or candied pineapple in it,
> and with a nice variety of dried fruit? Candied ginger is generally
> delicious, so that's ok :-)
>
> Anahita

Use any old fruitcake recipe and just substitute dried fruit and nuts
that YOU like for the nasty candied ones, measure for measure.  I just
use this one for all-purpose gingerbread and cram in dried apples,
apricots, prunes and home-candied citrus peel until the batter is just
barely covering all:

http://home.earthlink.net/~selene/kitchen/id18.html

Selene