[Sca-cooks] Useful things to do with fruitcake

Sue Clemenger mooncat at in-tch.com
Thu Dec 2 17:15:08 PST 2004

Yeah, although I haven't made it years (not since my Dad died...he was
the family fruitcake freak).  It's based on a "Guinness Cake" recipe in
a little collection of Irish recipes.  Oh, lord, what were those
ingredients (sounds of mental rummaging)....uhm, flour, sugar, real
butter.  Eggs.  A bottle of Guinness Stout.  Minimal spices.  And for
fruit/nuts, I used chopped, dried "mixed fruit" comprising golden
raisins, apples, apricots, pears, etc.  (in other words, those mixed
fruit packages, minus the nasty prunes).  Walnuts or pecans if desired.
  I don't think I'd heard of candied ginger back then, although it would
be nice.  No nasty candied commercial anything.  No molasses.
Lordy, but with today's dried fruit, you could really play.  Orange zest
and dried cranberries and apricots...mmmm....or homemade candied
peel...mmmmm.  Heck, you could even do lighter beers/ales for a
different, lighter take.
I used to make them in October, and then wrap them in alcohol-soaked
cheesecloth (alcohol could be brandy, or rum, or whiskey), and then in
tinfoil.  Remoistened the cheesecloth weekly.
Dang, now I'm missing making Dad's annual Christmas present....*sigh*
--maire