[Sca-cooks] OT but WAY COOL!- Viking rock video!

Laura C. Minnick lcm at jeffnet.org
Mon Dec 6 23:12:32 PST 2004

This is absolutely too cool:

<http://www.tyr.net/video/reginhq.WMV>http://www.tyr.net/video/reginhq.WMV

Makes me want to get out a round shield and bash some heads!

And the rest of the story:

I sent the link to a friend of mine who teaches English back east, because
he's an Anglo-Saxonist and I thought he might know more about the text. I
thought it was Icelandic- turns out I was close! This is what Alan sent me:

>I worked my way back through the URL and then found this:
>
><http://www.tyr.net/videors.asp?Cmd=9>http://www.tyr.net/videors.asp?Cmd=9
>
>Regin Smiður
>Producer og cameraman: Ingólfur Julisson
>Released: November 2003
>Location: Poland
>
>See "Regin Smiður" online
>
>high quality
>low quality
>
>The song:
>Regin Smiður is an old Faroese ballad telling the tale of Regin the
>blacksmith and his part in the destiny of Sigfried Dragonslayer. Regin
>plots to decieve Sigfried but Odin makes sure that Sigfried is well
>informed and eventually Sigfried slays Regin as well as the Dragon.
>
>Video:
>About the recording and the action:
>Regin Smiður was recorded in Jomsborg Viking Festival 1.-3. august 2003
>and includes some liveshots from concerts. In the video, Týr are
>performing together with vikings from the Festival. In the first scenes,
>Týr are welcomed at the high table of noble chieftains from Germany. The
>fight scenes are from the festivals live performance, great battles
>between vikings and slavs at Jomsborg. The fight-scenes where Heri is
>included is performed by the viking groups Kruki and Wataha. The artwork
>of Ingólfur Júlíusson is nothing short of fabulous. He has captured the
>true viking spirit.

I snooped around for particulars on old Faroese, and found this very
interesting page for a quick tour:

<http://www.omniglot.com/writing/faroese.htm>http://www.omniglot.com/writing/faroese.htm

I learned something new today! Way cool!

'Lainie,
LitGeek