[Sca-cooks] Musk in food

rtanhil rtanhil at fast.net
Tue Dec 7 15:42:27 PST 2004

I wouldn't dream of using real musk for a feast, even if
such a thing were possible. In fact, I wouldn't dream of
using it in my own kitchen.

Way back when, lo these many years ago, I dated a
professional perfumer. I went in to work with him one day
and got to smell an amazing assortment of individual
isolated fragrance components. I remember the musk vividly.
I can't imagine someone smelling that and thinking "Wow,
this would be a great addition to pastry!" but then, I have
trouble visualizing the scene where the first person picked
up a lobster and thought "This might be yummy." The
difference is that I like lobster. I do not particularly
care for musk.

If I were making that recipe, I, too would alter it
drastically, either by adding one of my own favorites, or
perhaps adding something weird (like say, cumin in trace
quantities) and making sure everyone knew it was there. Or
I'd just leave it out. I like rosewater and nuts together,
and don't really need to throw anything else in there.

But I wouldn't try for the musk. I wonder what one of our
true Middle Eastern foods experts would suggest.

Berelinde

PS--the green element from the kewra essence was suggested
more as something different that people would not expect
than any attempt to capture the character of musk in any way
shape or form.