[Sca-cooks] mustards

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Tue Dec 7 22:45:26 PST 2004

Adamantius replied:
> I think it's prepared mustard, and it may be just the plain
> mustard-and-water "hot mustard" which you often find in pubs
> (McSorley's, the oldest beer bar in New York City and in continuous
> operation since 1825, used to make their mustard, back when they
> served food, with their light ale). But water was probably as common
> a liquid to use in England at that time as vinegar...
In England, when? I was thinking that water would have to be boiled,
otherwise you would be taking a chance on using water which was
contaminated with microbes. Use of vinegar might be protective because
of the acidity, compared to using water. I'd have to go back and look
at the period mustard recipes though to see if they tend to use vinegar
or water and if the latter, whether the instructions call for boiling
it.

> Think of the mustard they serve in Chinese restaurants...
I just went to the kitchen and looked at the only Chinese mustard I
could find and it contains both water and vinegar. So, the mustard
served in restaurants is usually just ground mustard seed and water? Is
this why it tends to be so hot/sharp?

The only mustard making I've done so far was in Jadwiga's Pennsic
class. I guess I'm going to have to try this at home.

Stefan
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas
StefanliRous at austin.rr.com