[Sca-cooks] Hamantaschen, was Cookie Recipe(s) for December 7

lilinah at earthlink.net lilinah at earthlink.net
Thu Dec 9 21:00:11 PST 2004

Date: Fri, 10 Dec 2004 06:40:06 +0200
From: "Radei Drchevich" <radei at hotmail.com>

>Still does not answer the question of "too early?".  Please elaborate
>
>  >From: "Martin G. Diehl" <mdiehl at nac.net>
>  >Date: Wed, 08 Dec 2004 00:26:18 -0500
>  >
>  > > > And I know it's early to be thinking about Hamantaschen,
>  > > > (or is it ;-)), but this is the best Hamantaschen recipe
>  > > > I've found.
>  >
>  >Never too early.
>  >
>  >Vincenzo
>  >
>  >--
>  >Martin G. Diehl

Hamantaschen are traditionally eaten by the Ashkenazi (Eastern
European) Jews, as has already been mentioned, at Purim. Purim takes
place more or less in February. I say more or less because the Jewish
calendar is lunar, with solar adjustments - new months start on the
dark moon - festivals tend to take place on the full moon of the
month. But this means a festival can be anywhere from the end of
January to the beginning of March.

They are "Haman's hats" (actually tasch is pouch, but whatever),
Haman being the bad guy in the Purim story, which has already been
recounted a day or two ago.

So, this being the beginning of December, it's a bit early - about 2
months - to be thinking about eating Hamantaschen.

Anahita