[Sca-cooks] redactions/redacting

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Thu Dec 9 20:54:17 PST 2004

   Jdwiga Zajaczkowa replied:
> > Sorry, newbie here.  Please define redaction.  what is the origin and
> > epistomology of this word?
>
> It's an SCA cooking term of art, which basically means taking the
> period
> recipe and writing it ou in our interpretation of it into modern recipe
> language and format. In the larger world, 'redact' doesn't have this
> special sense, but it is useful shorthand in SCA attempts at period
> recipes. While it's certainly possible to cook from many period recipe
> without 'redacting' (interpreting) them, some require a bit of working
> out or adapting, and it's easier to do quantities and so forth, and
> have
> other people help you in the kitchen, if you work out a modern-style
> writeup of your interpretation.

For some more descriptions and for some suggestions for those who are
thinking about redacting/interpreting period recipes, see these two
files:
Redacting-art     (10K)  7/ 3/00    "The Kitchen Wench Way: Redacting
Recipes"
                                        by Caointiarn.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD/Redacting-art.html
redacting-msg     (44K)  9/12/04    Changing period recipes into modern
format.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD/redacting-msg.html

Stefan
--------