[Sca-cooks] Re: Sca-cooks Digest, Vol 19, Issue 88

Ruth Tannahill rtanhil at fast.net
Sun Dec 12 21:30:18 PST 2004

Lonnie Harval wrote:
> I have a dozen or so of these wooden charges from Pier 1. I use them for
> bread, and cheese and such as you suggest. I was wondering, however, if
> there is a way to seal them to make them food safe? I was told by some
> folks at a recent even that I could pick up what I needed at Michael's
> (a craft store chain), but I never quite caught what it was I would need.
>
> Suggestions?

Ruth writes again:

Not from me. I would be forever afraid that even if I did seal it with
something food safe, I might scratch the outer finish and expose the
non-food-safe layer, without knowing I'd done so. I just put the soup in the
food-safe bowl.

Now, if I had an UNFINISHED charger, I would just rub in the mineral oil or
block oil (butcher block oil, not engine block oil) and use it.

Berelinde