[Sca-cooks] St Lucy's Day Cookie Recipe Contributions (long)....

Sue Clemenger mooncat at in-tch.com
Mon Dec 13 20:02:26 PST 2004

Well, I'd originally thought to do the recipes that follow, and then I
got this crazy idea to find out what I could about traditional foods for
St. Lucia's Day, and even found a bunch of neat stuff, and then I got
mired down in...other things!
So, it's back to my original recipes, and maybe something extended on
St. Lucy festivals next year? <g>  Here they are...Maire's Family Cookie
Recipes, sort of ;o)

This first recipe came to me from my little sister, Cris, who took Best
in County (Jr. Division) with it in 1988.

_Lemon Kiss Cookies_

1.5 c butter (soft)
0.75 c granulated sugar
1 T lemon extract
2.75 c all-purpose flour
1.5 c finely chopped almonds
1, 14 oz. pkg Hershey kisses (unwrapped)
Confectioners' sugar
0.5 c semi-sweet chocolate chips, melted w/ 1 T veg. shortening

Oven: 375 farenheit

Beat butter, sugar, and extract together until light and fluffy.  Add
flour and almonds, beat at low speed until blended.  Cover and
refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
Shape scant tablespoonsful of dough around the hershey kisses (1 T
dough/1 kiss), covering the kisses completely.  Form them into little,
individual balls and place on ungreased cookie sheets.
Bake for 8-12 minutes until bottoms of cookies are light golden brown.
Cool 1 min, remove from cookie sheet and cool completely.  Sprinkle
cookies lightly with the powdered sugar, and drizzle tops with melted
chocolate.
_Barb's Triple Ginger Cookies_
I love soft ginger cookies, but wanted one more, well, gingery.  So I
experimented.  I even tried them using a corn syrup base instead of
molasses (to get a "white" cookie), but they do definitely taste better
made with molasses.
I dedicate these cookies to my Mom (Barb), because they were one of the
last things she could actually still eat when in the terminal stages of
breast cancer.

4.5 c all-purpose flour
4 t baking soda
2 T (fresh) ground ginger
2 t ground cinnamon
1 t ground cloves
0.5 t salt
2 c packed brown sugar
1.5 c softened butter (unsalted preferred)
0.5 c molasses
2 eggs
Up to 1 cup candied ginger, cut into little bits (try and get the fresh
stuff, and not the nasty, dried out stuff in the little boxes.  It's
easier to cut)
And...one-half cup of fresh ginger, peeled and grated

Stir together the first 6 ingredients.  Combine the remaining
ingredients and beat well.  Add dry ingredients to beaten mixture,
stirring well.  Form into balls (I use an ice cream scoop for big
cookies), and roll in granulated sugar, if desired.  Place cookies 2
inches apart on an ungreased cookie sheet, and bake in a 375 degree oven
(farenheit) for about 10 mins.  Don't let the bottoms get too brown.

Jim's Monster Chip Cookies
My brother, Jim, likes anything chocolate, so these are for him.  Do
feel free to experiment with different kinds of chocolate bars, or
different kinds of nuts.  The basic idea is serious chocolate and nut
chunkage. ;o)

3 bars (3 oz each) semisweet chocolate (candy bars are fine)
1.25 c pecan halves
1 c plus 2 T _unsifted_ flour
0.5 t baking soda
0.5 c butter, room temp/softened
0.33 c smooth peanut butter
0.5 c granulated sugar
0.5 c packed brown sugar
1 egg
1 t real vanilla
Oven: 325 farenheit

Break chocolate into individual squares, and then cut into halves,
diagonally.  Set aside 0.5 c of the pecan halves; coarsely chop the
remainder.  Stir together flour and baking soda.
Beat together the butter, peanut butter, and sugars until fluffy.  Add
the egg and vanilla.  Stir in flour mixture; stir in chopped pecans.
Using a 0.25 c measuring cup (or an ice cream scoop), mound dough onto 2
greased cookie sheets.  (Recipe makes about 12 cookies, so that's 6
cookies/sheet.)  Push chocolate pieces and pecan halves into the mounds,
distributing evenly.  Bake for 15-17 mins. until golden brown around the
edges and light-colored on top.  Halfway through the baking switch the
positions of the 2 cookie sheets, to ensure even cooking.  Cool on
sheets for about 3 mins., and then remove carefully with a spatula, and
cool completely on brown paper (old grocery sacks are great).

---------------------------------------
Dad's Favorite Fruitcake
(aka "Guinness Cake")
 From the time I was about 12, my "big" present to my dad was a homemade
fruitcake (he was insane for the stuff).  We tried a lot of recipes over
the years, including one really neat one that I no longer have, that had
you do your own candied pineapple and cherries, and then bake the cakes
in cleaned soup cans.  That was the same year that my Dad's dog found
the cooling (and well hidden) fruitcakes, and ate ALL of them, except one.
If you want, make this a few months in advance (I usually started them
in early October), and do the whole "wrap in liquor-soaked cheesecloth
and then tinfoil, and rewet the cheesecloth once a week thing.  I
usually kept the cake in the veg. drawer of the fridge, but the freezer
would work just as well.
*If you leave out the two starred ingredients, increase the total
poundage of other dried fruits to 2 lbs.

4 large eggs, beaten
1 lb flour
1 lb sugar
1.5 lbs dried fruit (any assortment), chopped
1 t baking soda
1 c butter
0.25 lb cherries*
0.25 lb mixed candied peel*
0.25 lb almonds, slivered OR coarsely chopped
pinch freshly ground nutmeg
1 standard bottle Guinness stout
juice of 1 lemon

Rub the butter into the flour, as if making a pie crust.  Mix well with
the dry ingredients.  Add the guinness, lemon juice and beaten eggs.
Bake in a thoroughly greased tin in a slow oven (300-325 farenheit) for
about 3 hours.
This makes lots of relatively tasty fruitcake.  The container I usually
baked it in was a honking huge, old bundt cake pan, but a good-sized
springform pan, or angelfood-cake pan would also work.

Happy Holidays from Maire....