[Sca-cooks] Blue corn meal- OO

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Tue Dec 14 23:09:55 PST 2004

  Saint Phlip asked:
> Anybody know where I can get blue corn meal,or preferably, blue corn
> masa
> harina? I found one source on line, but $4.25 for 12 ozs. is a bit out
> of my
> budget, not to mention ridiculous.
 From your local grocery?
Oh, yeah. You're way up there in Yankee land. :-)

Well, I found this on the web:
>  Dear Global Gourmet,
>
>  I cannot find blue corn masa harina, listed in your recipe for whole
> grain tortillas. Do you know of a place I can mail order it from the
> Internet? A company by the name of Minsa manufactures it but I can't
> find anyplace that sells it.
>
>  Help!!!
>
>  Thank you so much.
>  Julie Sukman
>  jpsukman*cbs.com
>
> Dear Julie,
>
>  Contact the CMC Company. Their website at
> http://clever.net/wwwwmall/cmc is a but clunky, but you can call their
> mail order dept. at 800-CMC-2780 (let them know that Kate at
> GlobalGourmet.com sent you). Other sources come direct from New
> Mexico: Santa Fe School of Cooking 505/983-4511; Los Chileros de Nuevo
> Mexico, 505/471-6967.
>
>  Kate Heyhoe
>  The Global Gourmet

I will also call my Central Market store tomorrow and see if they have
it. But the shipping might put it out of your price range. Do you need
to make it entirely out of blue corn? Or could you use some of the blue
corn masa harina and mix it with some cheaper regular corn masa harina?
That would lighten it, but should still give a blue color.

Stefan
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas
StefanliRous at austin.rr.com