[Sca-cooks] Re: Sweet bread or cake recipe also Mace

M C Grasse grasse at mscd.edu
Sun Dec 19 16:01:24 PST 2004

Thanks for the suggestions so far.  Please let me just answer all in
one post.

Vitha, I WISH they were true real fresh currants! Sadly these are
dried, aka Zante raisins or raisins of Corinth (Corinthen?)  The only
way I have been able to get fresh red currants was to grow them.  It is
possible here in Colorado, but you have to watch them like a hawk,
because there is a bug that lays its eggs, and the larvae/caterpillars
will STRIP a bush just post flowering of tons of leaves and all fruit
buds in less than a week.  Sadly the bush stayed at the house I no
longer reside in, and I have yet to find a home to purchase so I can
replant.

Bear, the first recipe sounds related to Digby cakes (cream, currants,
sherry), or what I have been using as Digby cakes.  Wonder if it would
work as a loaf?  The almonds and currants are mixed together and so not
possible to turn into almond paste any more, but it might work as a
base.  I will have to play with it, thank you.  Have you tried the
proportions?

William, the Pannettone sounds yummy, and related to the familiar (to
me) Stollen, except for the shape.

Any other suggestions out there?

Gwen Cat
who just got back from hunting for whole allspice and whole or even
ground mace in 3 stores, including Wild Oats, with NO LUCK.