[Sca-cooks] Re: Sweet bread or cake recipe also Mace

Terry Decker t.d.decker at worldnet.att.net
Sun Dec 19 19:53:53 PST 2004

Panettone in the recipe William describes probably gets its start in Milan
during the 15th Century.  It may derive from an earlier large loaf of bread
which was served during Christmas as early as the 10th Century.  Over the
centuries, the loaf became enriched and stuffed with fruit and nuts.  Modern
panetonne comes in both the mushroom shape and as a large slightly flattened
loaf (which probably the original shape).  As near as I can tell, it was a
commercial product from the start.

There is a similar fruit bread from Verona, pandoro.  The shape appears to
derive from a medieval Veronese Christmas cake, nadalin.  Nadalin appears to
have been a star shaped bread stuffed with fruit and possibly topped with
sugar.  A number of sources suggest that pandoro in its modern form is a
19th Century derivative of Viennese baking techniques applied to a
traditional form.

Modern recipes for panettone, pandoro and stollen are all heavy on the sugar
in the dough, which I think may be the Viennese influence.  Older forms of
enriched dough are closer to brioche, using fats and eggs, but not much
sugar.

As for English recipes, a lot of them use currants, but very few use almonds
and those that do use them as almond paste (a take off from simnels, I
assume).  If you choose to use one, you will probably need to modify the
recipe to use your currant and almond mix.

With the currant and almond mix you have, I think I would try the panforte

Bear