[Sca-cooks] use of soda bottles for storage

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Mon Dec 20 16:42:35 PST 2004

Kiri replied to me with:
> My husband makes mead and always uses the 2 liter soda bottles...says
> that they have tight-fitting caps and can handle minor pressure.
Does he do still or bubbly meads? If the former then it probably
doesn't make a difference since you don't want any gas buildup to be
retained. Since the plastic bottles let the fizz out of the soft
drinks, I think they would do the same for bubbly meads. I'm still
uncertain whether the plastic is permeable to microorganisms and such
things. If the plastic would let the beasties in which turn the mead or
beer into a vinegar, then I think that would be a problem. But the
plastic may do fine keeping them out, but not the smaller gas molecules
in.
> He always sterilizes the insides with a solution of campden tablets,
> along
> with the caps.  I do the same thing when I need to transport anything
> from broth to salad dressings to sauces.  We've never had any problem!
Well, how long have your kept these foods in the plastic soda bottles?
If just a few days or weeks, I doubt that you'd detect much since it
usually takes several months for the fizz in the soft drinks to leak
out. Generally the fizz leaking out of the diet sodas isn't a problem
since the Nutra-sweet seems to have an even shorter lifetime than this.
And bad Nutra-sweet is much worse than flat soda. Bleech. At least you
can mix flat regular soda and fizzy regular soda to get something
drinkable.

Stefan
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas