[Sca-cooks] use of soda bottles for storage

Elaine Koogler ekoogler1 at comcast.net
Mon Dec 20 17:04:18 PST 2004

Stefan li Rous wrote:

> Does he do still or bubbly meads? If the former then it probably
> doesn't make a difference since you don't want any gas buildup to be
> retained. Since the plastic bottles let the fizz out of the soft
> drinks, I think they would do the same for bubbly meads. I'm still
> uncertain whether the plastic is permeable to microorganisms and such
> things. If the plastic would let the beasties in which turn the mead
> or beer into a vinegar, then I think that would be a problem. But the
> plastic may do fine keeping them out, but not the smaller gas
> molecules in.

He makes quick meads, for the most part.  They generally get consumed
fairly rapidly, and it's actually a good idea that the gas buildup
doesn't get retained...otherwise we could have an explosion!

> Well, how long have your kept these foods in the plastic soda bottles?
> If just a few days or weeks, I doubt that you'd detect much since it
> usually takes several months for the fizz in the soft drinks to leak
> out. Generally the fizz leaking out of the diet sodas isn't a problem
> since the Nutra-sweet seems to have an even shorter lifetime than
> this. And bad Nutra-sweet is much worse than flat soda. Bleech. At
> least you can mix flat regular soda and fizzy regular soda to get
> something drinkable.
>
> Stefan

Usually, only a week, maximum.  His meads are kept usually for a couple
of weeks, however...and they generally still are not flat when we drink
them.

Kiri