[Sca-cooks] use of soda bottles for storage

Laura C. Minnick lcm at jeffnet.org
Mon Dec 20 17:33:24 PST 2004

At 04:42 PM 12/20/2004, you wrote:
>Kiri replied to me with:
>>My husband makes mead and always uses the 2 liter soda bottles...says
>>that they have tight-fitting caps and can handle minor pressure.
>Does he do still or bubbly meads? If the former then it probably doesn't
>make a difference since you don't want any gas buildup to be retained.
>Since the plastic bottles let the fizz out of the soft drinks, I think
>they would do the same for bubbly meads. I'm still uncertain whether the
>plastic is permeable to microorganisms and such things. If the plastic
>would let the beasties in which turn the mead or beer into a vinegar, then
>I think that would be a problem. But the plastic may do fine keeping them
>out, but not the smaller gas molecules in.

I don't think it's as much of a problem as you are thinking, Stefan. I've
done small mead in plastic- it's fizzy and I haven't had a problem with it.
Remember- soda pop doesn't lose it's fizz unless it's been opened. It is
the introduction of air that does it. The more air in the bottle, the
quicker it goes flat. And it seems to also be surface area exposed to air-
quickest way I know to make a half bottle of soda to go flat is to lay it
on it's side.

'Lainie