[Sca-cooks] Re:extra egg whites - OOP

Devra at aol.com Devra at aol.com
Wed Dec 22 09:07:03 PST 2004

        I don't want to be a spoon tease --

     Chocolate Mousse (from 'The Other Half of the Egg')

4 egg whites
dash of cream of tartar
1 C + 1Tbsp granulated sugar
8 squares (1-ounce size) semisweet chocolate, or 1+1/2 pkgs (6 ounce size)
semisweet chocolate bits
1/4 lb (4 ounces) + 2 Tbsp butter, softened  (which I guess is 5 ounces?)
1 envelope unflavored gelatin (approx 1 Tbsp?) --they say 1+1/2, but I find 1
is sufficient, unless you want it very stiff
1/4 C cold water

1) Beat egg whites and cream of tartar until standing in peaks, but not dry.

2) Add sugar gradually, beating constantly until all sugar is incorporated
and whites are standing in stiff shiny peaks.

3) Melt chocolate over hot, not boiling water. Remove from heat and stir in
softened butter.

4) Soften gelatin in water in saucepan, then place over heat and stir until
dissolved.

5) When gelatin is dissolved, add to the chocolate/butter mixture, and beat
until mixture reaches room temperature.

6) Fold meringue into chocolate mixture, spoon into a mold, and refrigerate
at least 3 hours.

Serves 8 - 10. Will keep refrigerated for several days.

NB - This is really nice with fresh pineapple wedges, which cut the richness
and complement the chocolate.  You really do need an electric mixer for this.

     Devra

Devra Langsam
www.poisonpenpress.com
devra at aol.com