[Sca-cooks] period cookbook recommendations and bread knives

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Wed Dec 29 23:53:01 PST 2004

Arwen commented:
> As far as loot, my in-laws are buying our plane tickets to Estrella for
> us (yay!); my folks just gave money, but since it's been more than a
> year since I had any new period cookbooks, guess where that will go?
> Does anyone have any suggestions?
I think the usual answer here to that question has been that it will
depend upon whether a particular time or place is among your interests,
whether you want the authors redactions or just a reprint of the period
recipe etc. You can find a lot of commentary and reviews of various
period cookbooks in the FOOD-BOOKS section of the Florilegium, although
I often recommend this annotated bibliography:
cookbooks-bib     (44K)  2/15/04    Cookbook bib. by Mistress Jaelle of
Armida.
> But my favorite may be the present I found for myself ... a lovely 10"
> Wusthof bread knife that was languishing in the knife bin at my local
> thrift store ... the only thing wrong with it appears to be a small
> burn scar on the handle.  For $4 (US), I can live with it!
Yes, this sounds like a great find. We've discussed kitchen knife care
here on several occasions. I just checked and I've not turned that info
into a file yet. If you are interested, let me know and I'll send you
my rough notes or create and get the file online.

> Arwen
> (finding it a challenge to get back to the low-carb diet after the
> holiday eat-a-thon!)
Uh? Isn't getting a nice bread knife a bit counter-productive for a
low-carb diet? :-)

Stefan
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas