[Sca-cooks] Translation and BBQ Type Questions - German

Chris Stanifer jugglethis at yahoo.com
Wed Dec 1 10:54:03 PST 2004

--- Barbara Benson <voxeight at gmail.com> wrote:

> Greetings,
>
> I am deep in the throes of teaching myself Renaissance German,

Better you than me :)  Best of luck with that!  German can be such a beautiful sounding language,
or it can sound gutteral and abrasive.  I've heard both.

> One would be if I could get some small Hazel skewers. I thought if I
> skewered them into the roasts and then cooked them on the grill with
> relatively indirect heat then it would give whatever flavor that the
> Hazel spit would.
>
> The second idea was if I could get some Hazel wood chips like you use
> in a smoker, soak them, and put them in a pan on the coals. This would
> give a more smoking effect - but I think it might give an
> approximation.

Of the two options, the second sounds better.  I'm not sure why the original author felt compelled
to spit roast those pigs on Hazel spits to begin with, unless the wood he was using for the fire
was also hazelnut wood.  Simply having the spit made of hazel might impart a very slightly woodsy
flavor, but I can't imagine it would impart more than that.  Unless Hazel wood is resinous and
aromatic, like cedar (which will impart much flavor to whatever is cooked on it), but I don't know
that it is (or isn't).  That's a question for the 'wood experts'.

Selene's idea of using hazelnut shells in lieu of actual wood is a good one, if you cannot get
your hands on hazelnut wood.  You might check your local area for hazelnut/filbert orchards, and
ask the orchard manager if they will give/sell you some deadwood or hulls.  Perhaps there is a
Dole plant nearby??

If all else fails, Pecan wood and Pecan chips are very easily obtainable, and will impart a nutty
flavor to the meat (especially pork, which takes flavors like a Redneck takes Budweiser).

Best of luck with this one!  Let us know how it turns out.  The recipe sounds great (but,
hey...I'm a pork fan).

William de Grandfort

=====
Through teeth of sharks, the Autumn barks.....and Winter squarely bites me.