[Sca-cooks] Translation and BBQ Type Questions - German

Fred Schwohl wladislaus at mac.com
Wed Dec 1 11:09:48 PST 2004

Am 01.12.2004 17:00 Uhr schrieb "Barbara Benson" unter <voxeight at gmail.com>:

Hello from Munich, Germany to the gentle Members of this list.

Being an avid medieval cook for quite some time, owning the mentioned book
and of course being a native German might give me some advantages here. :o)

A) Translation

Ruckbraten = Back Roast (as Ruck or Rucken means the back of any animal in
German)  As the cut might differ rom todays commercial cuts in the US I
suggest to use a complete Back of Pork (wild pork in this matter)

Rauch = Smoke, the meat is hung in the smoke for the mentioned time

Gehenkt = hung, (Past perfect of the verb "hängen" (to hang) someone hung at
the Galleys would be "ein Gehenkter")

One thought on the hazel spits as these do not transfer any flavour to the
meat, the hazel is normally used "green" which means freshly cut from the
tree to prevent burning of the spit while it was turned over the heat. These
could easily be replaced by any wooden spit if hazel is not available.

The method of first smoking meat and later rosting it is still used in parts
of Germany, the result is called "Rauchbraten" (smoked roast) and is mostly
served with dumplings and Sauerkraut, together with some decent mugs of
German Beer.

I hope this could be of help.

Best regards
Fred