[Sca-cooks] Translation and BBQ Type Questions - German

Huette von Ahrens ahrenshav at yahoo.com
Wed Dec 1 12:26:50 PST 2004

--- Susan Fox-Davis <selene at earthlink.net> wrote:

> Using the Google.com and Regar.de language
> tools:
>
> Ruckbraten = Jerk Roast  ??!
> Ruck = flip, tug, jolt.

Wrong meaning of "ruck".  "Ruck" means "back".
You are using the verb instead of the noun.
Der Rücken is the back, as in the body part,
as in "oh my aching back".

> Rauch = Smoke
> gehenckt = This one is tough and needs some
> dissection and good guessing.   Henkel =
> Handle, gehen[c]kt would be something that has
> a handle, so your interpretation of "spit" may
> not be far off the mark.

Sorry, but "gehenckt" is an old spelling of the
past participle version of "hangen" or "to hang".

Huette

=====
shall never cease to be amused.