[Sca-cooks] Translation and BBQ Type Questions - German

Terry Decker t.d.decker at worldnet.att.net
Wed Dec 1 15:31:05 PST 2004

Literally translated Ruckbraten is "back roast."  This might be a rump roast
or it might be a sirloin or tenderloin.

"Gehenckt" appears to be a form of hengen and that "in Rauch gehenckt"  will
mean "hang in the smoke."  I interpret this as an instruction place the spit
directly above the fire, but high enough to let it take on the flavor of the
smoke as it slowly roasts.  If you place the spit too low, the meat will
cook too quickly.

"Gebraten" can also mean done (as in properly cooked).  I would translate
this as "remove it when done."

Bear