[Sca-cooks] Suggestions Needed

Jadwiga Zajaczkowa / Jenne Heise jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
Thu Dec 2 06:16:15 PST 2004

> Harosset (a traditional Jewish Passover date and raisin paste with walnuts and wine.... not
> 'documented' in the book I have, but certainly an ancient treat)

If you are interested in something like this, there's a variant of
'Rapeye' which comes out interesting like Charoset:

 Harleian MS

.Take almonds, and draw a good mylke there-of, and take Dates and mince
them small and put thereon enough; take Raw Apples and pare them and
stamp them, and draw them up with wine, or with draft of almonds, or
both, then cast powder of gingere, cinnamon,mace, and cloves, and cast
thereon Sugar enough; then take a quantity of flour of rice, and strew
it thereon, and make it chargeaunt [stiff paste] and color it with
Saffron, and with Saunders, and serve it forth; and strew cinnamon about
it.

67 apples
4 lbs of chopped dates with oat flour, minced
3-4 pounds almond refuse from almond milk
Red wine
Powdered Ginger
Powdered Cinnamon
Powdered Mace
Powdered Cloves
Saffron
Saunders

   1. Chop the dates up finer in the food processor
   2. Using the food processor, ake a second milk of the almond refuse--
1 part almonds to 2 parts water.
   3. Peel and quarter the apples; submerge in water with a little lemon
juice to prevent browning.
   4. Drain and chop apples to fill food processor about half full
   5. Add about 6 tbsp dates
   6. Add about 2/3 c almond milk
   7. Add about 1/3 c. red wine
   8. Season with ginger, cinnamon, mace & cloves
   9. Whirl around and add more wine if needed to make the batch pink.
  10. Repeat until apples are gone.
  11. We stored these overnight in very cold refrigeration.
  12. Add a little saffron and saunders in wine to make it darker
colored before serving.

Note: the oat flour on the chopped dates substituted for the rice flour.

-- Jadwiga Zajaczkowa, Knowledge Pika jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
"The toad beneath the harrow knows/exactly where each tooth-point goes,
The butterfly upon the road/Preaches contentment to that toad."
			- Rudyard Kipling