[Sca-cooks] Suggestions Needed

Chris Stanifer jugglethis at yahoo.com
Wed Dec 1 14:22:33 PST 2004

--- Morses3 at aol.com wrote:

> I'd like to start taking food to our barony meetings for people to try (hey,
> it gives me a reason to cook more medieval food than my family is prepared to
> eat). Does anyone have suggestions for things that would be appropriate and
> would travel to that kind of setting?

Sure!  How about:

Cuskynoles!!!

Harosset (a traditional Jewish Passover date and raisin paste with walnuts and wine.... not
'documented' in the book I have, but certainly an ancient treat)

Ataif / Arab Pancakes (mentioned in a 10th century poem written for Caliph Mustakfi of Baghdad)
drizzled with honey or syrup.....can also be stuffed with 'new cheese' or Ricotta.

Almond Fingers / Assabih bi Loz (featured in medieval manuscripts as 'lauzinaj') these are little
'cigars' of fila dough filled with almonds, pistachios, walnuts and sugar, and fried.

And, there are plenty of other, European dishes which travel well, but I'm rushed for time at the
moment, and will post some more suggestions later...

William de Grandfort

=====
Through teeth of sharks, the Autumn barks.....and Winter squarely bites me.