[Sca-cooks] Cheap supermarket artisanal breads

Jadwiga Zajaczkowa / Jenne Heise jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
Thu Dec 2 06:56:47 PST 2004

> Yes, some of the supermarkets do seem to be coming out with
> "artisanal" breads. Shoprite and Stop-n-Shop, the two big
> supermarket chains in my little corner of Ner Jersey (well,
> the only 2 in convenient driving distance to me, anyway) do
> offer them. I brought a couple to a demo to snack on while
> tablet weaving.
> They tasted like waxed cardboard. They tasted exactly like
> every other loaf of bread in the bread aisle, except that
> they weren't sliced. They had so many dough conditioners to
> delay staling that they tasted like they were larded with
> Crisco after baking.

hmm.. do your stores sell day-old bread at a markdown? The places where
I shop that do their own baking do sell the 'day-old' stuff marked down,
and maybe that's the difference. But I don't know; we've bought breads
from Food4Less and from Valley Farm Markets, but not from places like
Shoprite (because around here they are very expensive) or Giant. It may
be the difference between a large chain and a small chain; I don't know.

-- Jadwiga Zajaczkowa, Knowledge Pika jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
"The toad beneath the harrow knows/exactly where each tooth-point goes,
The butterfly upon the road/Preaches contentment to that toad."
			- Rudyard Kipling