[Sca-cooks] Fair feast budget

Terry Decker t.d.decker at worldnet.att.net
Thu Dec 2 10:52:53 PST 2004

> What are your standard brands or suppliers when purchasing to make breads?

I usually purchase all purpose flour from the local grocery, bulk baker's
yeast (the last time I used Fleischmann's), salt (whatever's available), and
whole wheat, rye, barley and other specialty flours either bulk from the
health food store or 5 lb bags of Hodgson Mills, which is the easiest to
come by locally.  Most off the shelf ingredients are good enough to do the
job, but I admit I like to have used them prior to trusting them for a
feast.  For spices, fruits and other things added to the bread, I tend to be
more quality concious.

> What types of bread do you make for feasts?
> (probably want the short list on that question!)
>
> thank you,
> Simon Hondy

One pound loaves of manchet and rye of various types are what I do most
commonly as they are documentable.  I have also prepared barley bread, an I
talian almond bread, rosemary bread, Finnish cardomom bread, some odd malt
loaves, panettone, stollen, oatmeal raisin, honey wheat and so on.  The
precise choices depend on the cook (I sometimes act as baker for other
people's feasts), the theme of the feast, and the authenticity desired.

Bear