[Sca-cooks] Special Dishes

Dianne & Greg Stucki goofy1 at suscom.net
Thu Dec 2 11:13:32 PST 2004

----- Original Message -----
From: <lilinah at earthlink.net>
To: <sca-cooks at ansteorra.org>
Sent: Thursday, December 02, 2004 1:21 PM
Subject: Re: [Sca-cooks] Special Dishes

> Somebody wrote:
>>  Don't we all have a particular food, without which the holiday seems
>>  incomplete?
>
> No.
>
> Well, i like something with cranberries and something with pumpkin, but
> they don't have to be cranberry sauce and pumpkin pie.

Well, I'd say ingredients count.

> I don't have particularly happy holiday memories, and i'd really like to
> make my own tasty recipes, but whenever i've tried my mother has
> complained. She prefers the same old stuff and i can't think of a single
> thing that is served that couldn't be improved. Additionally, my mom
> prefers very sweet things and i dislike very sweet things. Since she loads
> the menu with sweetened stuff, i often buy some things for myself.

Sounds like a plan..or else plan a Thanksgiving dinner for just you and your
loved ones (SO and children) for Friday and serve what you want!

> I once i made a stuffing for the turkey once that had things in it like
> chestnuts - and on a different occasion i made a good cranberry sauce with
> some orange and spices and pecans in it - and on yet another occasion i
> made some sort of concatenation of a bavarian and a charlotte with the pan
> lined with lady fingers and filled with a sort of pumpkin mousse (i
> invented it and didn't write it down). My offerings were never praised and
> my parents preferred packaged bread stuffing, canned cranberries, and
> standard pumpkin pie.

Why, oh why, did you not write down the recipes? What a crime..I love
cranberries and all the different ways to prepare them. I buy the canned
stuff for the kids, but they like the kind I prepare from scratch as well.
I've also trained them that if they want mashed sweet potatoes (withOUT the
marshmallows) then they will be prepared from scratch.

> I guess i won't get to have a good Thanksgiving dinner until my mother
> dies and that probably won't be for another ten or 15 years.
>
> Hmmm-mmm, that gives me an idea. My daughter and i enjoy cooking together.
> Maybe my daughter and i can cook the meal in 2006 (next year it will be at
> my brother's wife's house and the same person will be cooking that meal
> who cooked the meal this year). We can make absolutely everything our way.
> There will have to be some sort of vegetarian proteinaceous dish for her
> and i can roast the turkey (because it won't be Thanksgiving for the other
> folks present without it), but we can do everything else our way together.
> And we can make a tiny dish of mashed candied yams with marshmallows just
> for my mother.

See! That sounds lovely, and in considerably less than ten-fifteen years.

Laurensa