[Sca-cooks] Cheap supermarket artisanal breads

Jadwiga Zajaczkowa / Jenne Heise jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
Thu Dec 2 12:50:59 PST 2004

> > hmm.. do your stores sell day-old bread at a markdown? The places where
> > I shop that do their own baking do sell the 'day-old' stuff marked down,
>
> There are a few grocery stores here that have a "bakery" department
> that's...passable. I don't buy bread but I have tasted some of them. I
> usually buy the large day old pumpernickel loaves, cut it lengthwise and
> freeze for trenchers.

Oops-- I forgot to explain: places that don't sell day-old bread marked
down, in my experience, are not baking on a daily basis for daily
purchases, so their breads will have more preservative agents, etc. In
my opinion, places that mark-down day old bread have better bread. (I
also watch for manager's markdowns in produce sections-- if the manager
has the authority to reduce for quick sale, the produce type and
selection is often much better.)

-- Jadwiga Zajaczkowa, Knowledge Pika jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
"The toad beneath the harrow knows/exactly where each tooth-point goes,
The butterfly upon the road/Preaches contentment to that toad."
			- Rudyard Kipling