[Sca-cooks] Fair feast budget

Jeff Elder scholari at verizon.net
Thu Dec 2 14:02:17 PST 2004

> One pound loaves of manchet and rye of various types are what I
> do most commonly as they are documentable.
<snip>
> Bear

What is your average dough weight to get a one pound loaf?

All this talk about help baking, that's just crazy talk! <grin>
  I do my baking alone, power through, but then we usually just do 100 people feasts.  I will do 30 to 40+ regular loaves of bread, two at a time, untill they are done.  My Lady usually leaves the house for the day or so I bake.  Main reason I do it this way is I get going and I just cannot articulate what needs to be done, or can't think outside the rut to tell any one else what needs to be done.  I think my longest bake day has been 21 hours.  Then cool, wrap and freeze all the breads at Mom's house.  We had a mongolian feast I did about 290 poppy seed buns (about egg sized, from "A soup for the Qan mmm buttery goodness) and about the same in naan.  I was proud I was able to ask for help in rolling out the naan to be cooked one by one.  Someday I will figure out how to mass prduce bread!  Buns were good, naan I disliked.

Over all I was fortunate we have a healthfood stoor and was able to ut the poppy seeds much cheaper there, going through about 50 lbs of flour, I spent a total of 35 dollars for all the bread.

Simon Hondy