[Sca-cooks] Bear's breads (was Fair feast budget)

Terry Decker t.d.decker at worldnet.att.net
Fri Dec 3 15:37:23 PST 2004

To my knowledge there are no bread recipes for period German breads.  A case
can be made for wheat, rye, and wheat/rye mixed (maslin) breads, but no
specifics of their manufacture.  If you make the bread with flour, water,
yeast and salt, you should be in the ballpark.

Dresden stollen is probably late period, being a bread with fruit worked
into the dough.  Again, no documentation.

For an interesting period German pastry, you might consider Spanish pastries
from Sabina Welser.  I baked them the first time I did them, but in
reviewing the recipe, I think that they are actually empanadas and should be
deep fried, as with the Shrove Tuesday doughnuts (also Welser).

Bear