[sca-cooks] Baking Bread

Jeff Elder scholari at verizon.net
Thu Dec 2 14:16:59 PST 2004

I have one of those!
try this recipe for Irish soda bread:
http://maelstrom.stjohns.edu/CGI/wa.exe?A2=ind9907B&L=celiac&P=R1004
It is very nice, and not all dry and heavy.  I can't tell the differnce between this and my regular soda bread recipe.  (more recipies there too)

also these books:
The Gluten Free Gourmet Cooks Fast and Healthy by Betty Hagman
ISBN 0-8050-0398-0-5
The Gluten Free Gourmet Bakes Bread by Betty Hagman
ISBN 0-8050-0398-0-5

lots of online resources.  I have found letting the flours used in gluten free baking need a little extra time with the liquids so they soak up more.  this has kept the breads from being "sandy".  and most breads are simple quick breads.  Many flat breads lend them selves to this.

Also gluten free baking lends itself pretty well towards lower carb baking, as with anything you have to pay attention to the ingredients, and their values.

Simon Hondy