[Sca-cooks] Baking Bread

caointiarn caointiarn1 at juno.com
Thu Dec 2 17:47:32 PST 2004

Using Spelt flour or Kamut flour {both are ancient grains that are better
tolerated by those who are gluten intolerant}could be an answer, if indeed
you were looking for the word "gluten" and not "glucose."  If it is the
latter, you have me stumped.

Caointairn

Simon Hondy answered:

> try this recipe for Irish soda bread:
> http://maelstrom.stjohns.edu/CGI/wa.exe?A2=ind9907B&L=celiac&P=R1004
> It is very nice, and not all dry and heavy.  I can't tell the differnce
between this and my regular soda bread recipe.  (more recipies there too)

> also these books:
> The Gluten Free Gourmet Cooks Fast and Healthy by Betty Hagman
> ISBN 0-8050-0398-0-5
> The Gluten Free Gourmet Bakes Bread by Betty Hagman
> ISBN 0-8050-0398-0-5
>
> lots of online resources.  I have found letting the flours used in gluten
free baking need a little extra time with the liquids so they soak up more.
this has kept the breads from being "sandy".  and most breads are simple
quick breads.  Many flat breads lend them selves to this.

> Also gluten free baking lends itself pretty well towards lower carb
baking, as with anything you have to pay attention to the ingredients, and
their values.

> > From: "Bj/Jane Tremaine" <vikinglord at cox.net>
> > Date: 2004/12/02 Thu PM 04:01:10 CST
> > A friend of mine is glucose(SP) intolerant.  We found glucose free
flour.   Any tips?  Commercial bread is very tacky, almost a feeling of not
completely cooked.