[Sca-cooks] Help in the kitchen (was Fair feast budget)

Samrah auntie_samrah at yahoo.com
Thu Dec 2 15:49:31 PST 2004

I find have trouble with figuring out how to have people help me when I am under the wire, in the press of the moment.  I find it helps if it is someone I am going to be working with regularly to take the time to teach them, or work with them, in a practice session--not when the meal is crucial.  Gives me time to get centered and be a patient teacher.

When it comes to baking bread, I guess I must pretty much be a traditionalist.  I have baked
bread by hand, usually for about 30, almost every year, for the past 35 years.  I gave up my mixer about 15 years ago.  (Not being a martyr, but for the 7-8 cups of flour I like working with at a time, it just wasn't worth the trouble.)

Samrah

"Laura C. Minnick" <lcm at jeffnet.org> wrote:
At 02:02 PM 12/2/2004, you wrote:

>All this talk about help baking, that's just crazy talk!
> I do my baking alone, power through, but then we usually just do 100
> people feasts. I will do 30 to 40+ regular loaves of bread, two at a
> time, untill they are done. My Lady usually leaves the house for the day
> or so I bake. Main reason I do it this way is I get going and I just
> cannot articulate what needs to be done, or can't think outside the rut
> to tell any one else what needs to be done.

Not just me then! This is a lot of how I sew- and when I have 'help' I have
a devil of a time figuring out how to utilize it- I guess because I don't
really tackle the project in a linear manner. Drives people nuts. Sure nice
to know I'm not alone!

'Lainie