[Sca-cooks] Fair feast budget

Terry Decker t.d.decker at worldnet.att.net
Thu Dec 2 16:12:17 PST 2004

> What is your average dough weight to get a one pound loaf?

About 1.25 pounds of dough approximately.  A lot depends of how dry the
flour is.  Non-wheat loaves may be a little heavier

> Over all I was fortunate we have a healthfood stoor and was able to ut the
> poppy seeds much cheaper there, going through about 50 lbs of flour, I
> spent a total of 35 dollars for all the bread.
>
> Simon Hondy

For a German feast a few years ago, I got 48 loaves of manchet, 48 loaves of
rye and 160 Spanish pastries produced for $55 and 20 long hard hours.  We
had the water in the kitchen fail, two ovens were not functioning (but I had
a convection oven available), a power failure, and a few other minor
problems.  Veddy interesting, I spent as much time solving the problems as I
did baking.  The pastries were the most difficult part of the project and
took more time than I had planned.

Bear