[sca-cooks] Baking Bread

Stephen Bloch sbloch at adelphi.edu
Fri Dec 3 05:36:53 PST 2004

Maggie MacD wrote:
>Do you mean gluten intolerant? I've been researching that whole
>topic myself, as I also have a local friend who can no longer
>tolerate wheat gluten.
>
>Does anybody know of a recipe for a bread that is even REMOTELY like
>regular bread? And, where do i find xanthan gum for sale? That seems
>to be a pretty common feature in all the wheat/gluten free recipes
>I've been looking at.

The recipe I just posted is low-carb, but decidedly NOT low-gluten,
so that's no good.  Xanthan gum is available at my local
natural-foods store, made by Bob's Red Mill (which also makes a
variety of other flourlike ingredients -- garbanzo flour, gluten
flour, almond meal, flaxseed meal, etc. -- in 1-pound plastic bags.

I've used xanthan gum a few times, either in bread dough or as a
low-carb thickener for gravies.  A little goes a long way: I tend to
measure it by the quarter teaspoon, and it can easily tip things over
the line from thick into slimy.  But it does contain a bunch of
protein, a bunch of fiber, no "net carbs", and AFAIK no gluten.

--
                                     John Elys
          (the artist formerly known as mar-Joshua ibn-Eleazar ha-Shalib)
                                 sbloch at adelphi.edu