[Sca-cooks] Useful things to do with fruitcake

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius.magister at verizon.net
Fri Dec 3 11:01:36 PST 2004

Also sprach Micaylah:
>Sherry is also another alcohol to consider. I don't think I would recommend
>actually putting it in the cake as one of the ingreds, but to marinade the
>fruits, and for cheesecloth soaking, it sounds like it would be very good.
>YMMV
>
>Micaylah

Okay, so this one uses sack. Close enough, IMO. It also uses only
raisins and currants, but in profusion, and I don't think it suffers
for it.

ANOTHER VERY GOOD CAKE

Take four quarts of fine flower, two pound and half of butter, three
quarters of a pound of Sugar, four Nutmegs; a little Mace; a pound of
Almonds finely beaten, half a pint of Sack, a pint of good Ale-yest,
a pint of boiled Cream, twelve yolks, and four whites of Eggs; four
pound of Currants. When you have wrought all these into a very fine
past, let it be kept warm before the fire half an hour, before you
set it into the oven. If you please, you may put into it, two pound
of Raisins of the Sun stoned and quartered. Let your oven be of a
temperate heat, and let your Cake stand therein two hours and a half,
before you Ice it; and afterwards only to harden the Ice. The Ice for
this Cake is made thus: Take the whites of three new laid Eggs, and
three quarters of a pound of fine Sugar finely beaten; beat it well
together with the whites of the Eggs, and ice the Cake. If you please
you may add a little Musk or Ambergreece.
	--The Closet of the Eminently Learned Sir Kenelm Digby,
Knight, Opened, etc., London, 1669

Does anybody besides Andrea MacIntyre remember the 12th Night
subtlety thingy in Nordenhall a few years ago? This was my entry, so
it's conceivable somebody here may remember eating this.

Adamantius

brioche!" / "If they have no bread, you have to say, let them eat
brioche."
Rousseau, "Confessions", pub 1782

Holt, 07/29/04