[Sca-cooks] RE: [Sa-cooks] Re: Salad cream

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius.magister at verizon.net
Sat Dec 4 12:34:50 PST 2004

Also sprach Micaylah:
>  > My apologies if someone has already asked this and it has been
>>  answered, but this list has been very busy and I've been spending a lot
>>  of time on getting a job. (I do have an interview on Monday. Originally
>>  scheduled for this afternoon, but they postponed it).
>
>Good Luck Stef!
>
>>  > 4 eggs, 1 teaspoonful of mixed mustard, 1/4 teaspoonful of white
>>  > pepper,half that quantity of cayenne, salt to taste, 4 tablespoonfuls
>>  > of cream,
>>  > vinegar.
>>  So what is *mixed* mustard in this case? Two different mustards mixed
>>  together? Or, more likely, what I've often seen called "prepared"
>>  mustard today?
>
>In the method nor the Explanatory Notes is there mention of the "mixed
>mustard". Since I don't know much about mustard (except I made it for a
>feast once and it was too hot to eat-lol), I would hazard a guess that it
>likely means a grainy prepared mustard. Anyone?

I think it's prepared mustard, and it may be just the plain
mustard-and-water "hot mustard" which you often find in pubs
(McSorley's, the oldest beer bar in New York City and in continuous
operation since 1825, used to make their mustard, back when they
served food, with their light ale). But water was probably as common
a liquid to use in England at that time as vinegar...

Think of the mustard they serve in Chinese restaurants...

Adamantius

brioche!" / "If they have no bread, you have to say, let them eat
brioche."
Rousseau, "Confessions", pub 1782

Holt, 07/29/04