[Sca-cooks] Buttermilk?

Susan Fox-Davis selene at earthlink.net
Sun Dec 5 11:45:51 PST 2004

On 12/4/04 9:23 AM, "lilinah at earthlink.net" <lilinah at earthlink.net> wrote:

> Whoo-hoo!
>
> I drank about half of the quart of Lifeway Kefir last night. It was
> tasty, but not the way i remembered kefir being.
>
> Then i opened the Helios brand this AM. Just took a swig. I can feel
> those little kefir grains and it's less "fluffy" than the Lifeway,
> and while not tingly or fizzy, i think it has potential.
>
> Whoo-hoo!
>
> So besides all those little bacilli, what yeast should i add to get
> "The Tingler"? Is the saccharomyces fragilis in the Lifeway brand a
> yeast?
>
> I gotta make a note to self to get more Helios kefir.
>
> Anahita

I need to find some too.  It would beat the heck out of paying extra for
just the grains!

WILD FERMENTATION by Sandor Ellix Katz has a section on dairy ferments.  He
gives the simple instructions of 1 Tablespoon / 15 ml of kefir grains per
liter of milk, any animal or vegetarian equivalent, soy or nut milk [pepita
being a particular favorite].

Sandor seems to be alive and well as of about a week ago when he answered
some e-mail I sent him.  Stefan will be pleased to note that Sandor
referenced the Florilegium in his answer to my question.  Check out his
webiste at www.wildfermentation.com> or get it from Devra, I think it would
be of interest to you and your vegan kinfolk.

Selene