[Sca-cooks] Re: Spanish Word

Elise Fleming alysk at ix.netcom.com
Tue Dec 7 15:20:29 PST 2004

Ardenia wrote:
>I was speaking from my experience as a modern Spanish teacher,
>not from a historical context. (snip) I appreciate the historical take,
>which, with your permission I will print out and possibly share with
>my Spoanish class as "bonus" material.

Another snippet to add... In Argentina, "manteca" means "butter", not
"lard".  When I studied there in the early 60s, we had to revise what we
knew of several words, this  being one.  Many countries use different words
for the same item, but this was one of the more confusing ones.  We were
all Spanish teachers, working to improve our Spanish.  We had to ask for
"manteca" for our bread, not "mantequilla"!

Alys Katharine, retired Spanish teacher  (M.A. from Middlebury)

Elise Fleming
alysk at ix.netcom.com
http://home.netcom.com/~alysk/