[Sca-cooks] cookbook list

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Tue Dec 7 20:46:28 PST 2004

Aoghann asked:
> After the new year, I would like to purchase some good cookbooks (or
> books about cooking) for the SCA period. In particular, I am interested
> in England and Scotland from 1450 to 1500, but I will be tryin to pick
> up books from multiple cultures and periods. So, I am asking for
> suggestions (or perhaps reviews).
You might want to browse through some of the files in the FOOD-BOOKS
section of the Florilegium. You can find a number of files with
cookbook reviews and annotated bibliographies.

I particularly would recommend this file:
cookbooks-bib     (44K)  2/15/04    Cookbook bib. by Mistress Jaelle of
Armida.

And a few others include:
books-food-msg   (118K)  5/ 9/02    Books about food. Not cookbooks.
cb-rv-Platina-msg (21K)  2/21/01    Reviews of cookbooks having Platina
recipes.
cb-rv-Taillvt-msg  (9K)  7/14/99    Reviews of books having
Taillevent's recipes

While not very well organized, there is also a series of files
containing messages, often from this list, which mention and review
various cookbooks, both those written in period and published today
such as:
cookbooks3-msg   (240K)  1/27/02    Reviews posted after 11/97.

You mentioned having "Take a Thousand Eggs or More", so this file might
also be of interest:
Fix-4-TTEM-art     (3k)  4/28/02    A correction to the book "Take a
Thousand
                                        Eggs or More" by Cindy M.
Renfrow.

Stefan