[Sca-cooks] Cookie Recipe(s) for December 7

Lists lists at austin.rr.com
Tue Dec 7 22:51:01 PST 2004

At 08:12 PM 12/7/2004, you wrote:
>What's Hamantaschen?
>--maire

Hamantaschen (singular is Hamantasch) are *the* food associated with the
Jewish holiday of Purim.  They are cookies shaped like triangles that
represent Haman's Hat (or, in Hebrew, Oznei Haman -- Haman's ears) from the
Book of Esther.

BTW, I should have noted that the best brand of filling to use is Solo, if
you can find it.  Chocolate-flavored Jif makes a nice chocolate filling,
and I've heard the same about Nutella but never tried it.  And one more
note about the recipe -- it doubles well, with a modification or
two.  Here's the ingredient list for the doubled recipe.  It basically adds
only extra egg instead of two, a little extra flour, and a little orange
juice; add the OJ with the milk.

Cindy

Hamantaschen -- Double Recipe:
1 cup butter
2 cups sugar
3 eggs
2 Tablespoons milk
2 Tablespoons orange juice
2 teaspoons vanilla
4 1/2 cups flour
4 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 can of your favorite filling or jam or jelly or chocolate peanut butter
or chocolate hazelnut spread