[Sca-cooks] Hamantaschen

Martin G. Diehl mdiehl at nac.net
Wed Dec 8 12:56:59 PST 2004

"Lonnie D. Harvel" wrote:

snip]

> For those that want a reference:
> * *Talmud, /Megillah/ 7a; Shulchan Aruch 695:2

[snip]

That word 'Megillah' sounded very familar to me ...

"Megillah - A long story"

"Yiddish for Yankees or, Funny, You Don't Look Gentile"
(Yes! ... the actual title! IOW, G'nossen tsum emess! <g> )
http://www.yiddishforyankees.com/

Which may be found (sometimes) at
http://www.alibris.com or
http://www.www.amazon.com

For online reference,

>From the "List of Yiddish Words and Expressions"
http://www.pass.to/glossary/Default.htm
... and then click 'M' to find ...

"Megillah - A long story"

The glossary had some food (or food related) items ...

Bialy, Borekes, Chrain, Geshmak, Holishkes, Kasheh,
Kishkeh, Knishes, Lokshen, Ongetrunken, Prezhinitse,
Ptsha, Rossel flaysh, Shav, Shmaltz, Shtark gehert,
Shtrudel, Ta'am, Taiglech, Varnishkes, Vursht, ...

... but not Hamantaschen -- sorry.

Looking at other pages of that glossary ...

Kenen oyf di finger - Have facts at one's fingertips.
[I wonder who that could be?  <g>]

Oi vai iz mir! - Woe is me!

Trepsverter - Lit. step words; zinger composed in retreat; perfect
retort after insult analysis (maybe late a little).

... plus so many more that I wanted to pass along ... but
decided to send in a message of their own.

Also found on the same site ...
The memory of a dear, wise relative always saying you can
curse your enemy with love if you talk to them in Yiddish,

> L'Chaim!

Slainte!

> Aoghann
> (No, I am not Jewish in either the Society or out.
> Aoghann is a lowland Scot and wears pants, thank you.)
>
> Bill Fisher wrote:
>
> >On Wed, 08 Dec 2004 08:45:11 -0500, Lonnie D. Harvel
> ><ldh at ece.gatech.edu> wrote:

> >>BTW, The Talmud instructs that one should consume
> >>enough alcohol to render one unable to distinguish
> >>between "Bless Mordecai" and "Curse Haman."
> >>
> >>Aoghann

> >You have my attention on that one, what day was that
> >again?
> >
> >Cadoc

Vincenzo
(not Jewish -- but collects and shares Yiddish Words;
is from the Italian Renaissance -- in theory anyway;
at times, teaches/wears a Feileadh Mor -- Great Kilt;
... the backstory to "connect those dots" is a very big
Megillah!)

--
Martin G. Diehl

http://www.renderosity.com/gallery.ez?ByArtist=Yes&Artist=MGD

Reality: That which remains after you stop thinking about it.
  inspired by P. K. Dick