[Sca-cooks] Hard liquor in period recipes, was Adamantius pants?

Jadwiga Zajaczkowa / Jenne Heise jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
Wed Dec 8 17:23:47 PST 2004

> I have seen sources sighting a distillery in Ireland as early as the 6th
> century AD.

Any recollection of which sources? I know that the Encyclopedia
Britannica says something about distilling in Britain... and suggests
R.J. Forbes, A Short History of the Art of Distillation: From the
Beginnings Up to the Death of Cellier Blumenthal (1970) as a source

> Vodka was well established in the Russias as early as the 10th century
> according to records of Genovese Traders.

*puzzled* why were there Genovese Traders in Russia at that time?
And where can we find these records-- these descriptions would be
invaluable to those of us in the States studying period Slavic culture.

> and I have seen several recipes from a Roman cookbook of the 2nd century BC
> that call for distilled spirits, although wine was much more common.

Which cookbook, and which recipes?

-- Jadwiga Zajaczkowa, Knowledge Pika jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
"I don't get the facts wrong.  It's everything else I screw up."
    -- _The Librarian: Quest for the Spear_