[Sca-cooks] Holiday greetings was pants and stuff

Martin G. Diehl mdiehl at nac.net
Wed Dec 8 17:28:34 PST 2004

Johnna Holloway wrote:

> I made a mistake in opening the mail this am

No you didn't.  <smirk!>

We had discussed this at length using cryptographically
secure transmissions via deep tunneling techniques ...

... the final decision was that you be allowed to read
this information -- 'without hinder or let'.  <g>

> and started to go through some digests to find all
> sorts of posts about Master A ------- or not -------

[some words deleted for quite a few good reasons]

> ... all interspersed with holiday cookie recipes and
> messages from Stefan pointing out where information
> can be found in the Florilegium.

That proves that each of us should require our eMail
client software to arrange incoming messages by 'thread'.
('thread' in this context is NOT a reference to period
or any other clothing  <g> )

> And then Vincenzo has to query about great kilts ...

Huh! -- there was nothing odd about my response -- just
standard SCA clothing observations.

<innocent look>

'query' ... that word does mean odd, doesn't it?

</innocent look>

I _thought_ I was merely adding to the ... flow of ideas. <g>

> well it obvious this is why we are all better kept locked
> away in our kitchens and not let out in polite company.

Hmmmmmmmm ... not sure how the muggles (and also those of
high rank) would ever become accustomed to us in that case.

Besides, kitchens might then be subject to unexpected,
rapid changes in shape and content due to the excess
accumulation of ... _unusual_ forces.

[Obscure Literary Reference: Thinking of John Brunner's
"The Traveler in Black"  -- existential Science Fiction
with a protagonist who is a person with "many names, but
only one nature" and carried a "staff made from light
curdled by a number of most unusual forces".]

[Obscure Literary Reference #2:
"In Search of Creative Solitude in Modern Fantasy"
http://wpl.lib.in.us/roger/SOLIT.HTML ]

> So who has started in on the spiked eggnog early? Or is
> it just the holidays getting to everyone?

Where's mine?  Who's got the the recipe?

> Given the fact that all the other mail is either
> winning the lottery, money in Nigeria or store ads,
> it's just as well.

Very sorry to hear that _your_ SPAM is so ... ordinary.
My sincere condolences to you.

There is something I could do that would certainly
liven up your INBOX.

If (and only if) you ask, I could send you some choice
morsels selected out of the approximately 5,000 SPAM
messages that total strangers -- well-meaning, open,
upstanding fellow ... beings (???) -- have chosen to
send me each month.  According to them, their messages
evidence an expression of their most sincere intention
to enlighten me *and* improve *their* wretched lives.

> Speaking of cookie recipes-- The new King Arthur Cookie
> Cookbook looks great for traditional ones. Maybe after
> the holidays I'll even have time to make some.
>
> Happy Chanukah/Hanukah everyone.
>
> Johnnae
> (back to reformatting these handouts for 3 hours of
> classes on Saturday.)

[snip]

Vincenzo

--
Martin G. Diehl

http://www.renderosity.com/gallery.ez?ByArtist=Yes&Artist=MGD

Reality: That which remains after you stop thinking about it.
  inspired by P. K. Dick