[Sca-cooks] You know you're in the SCA when... (was Hard liquor in period recipes, was Adamantius pants)

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius.magister at verizon.net
Thu Dec 9 08:24:58 PST 2004

Also sprach rtanhil:
>The following quoted reference is included only to
>illustrate a point I find amusing. I don't find it offensive
>in any way (and hope others don't either). I notice it most
>in the SCA, although I suppose that if I hung out in more
>academic circles I might notice it there, too.
>
>As a group, we expect footnoted discussions.
>
>"I read it in a book" is a common supporting argument, but
>lots of things are written in books, and not all of them are
>true. When reading a book for factual information, the first
>thing I turn to is the bibliography. If there isn't any, or
>if seems inadequate, I tend to regard the contents of a book
>with scepticism and tend to read mostly for broad ideas, if
>I read it at all. If the bibliography is extensive and
>includes a number of primary sources, I tend to read with
>more of an eye for details and try to remember the title and
>author, if nothing else, to be able to point to it later and
>say "I read it here."
>
>I'm not trying to discourage this. We're all trying to make
>our game more real. We just need to remember not to take it
>personally.
>
>Berelinde

These are good points. I like to look at it as working with the best
information we can get at any given time, and freely sharing the
level of that information's quality.

So, if all we can come up with is, "I read it in a book," there's no
shame in that. On the other hand, if we can provide better
documentation when trying to make a point, so much the better, and if
the other person's documentation trumps my "read it in a book," well,
kest lah gwerry.

I'm guilty of this myself, occasionally, because I have an excellent
memory for things I've read in the distant past (I remember, and
sometimes forget, snippets of things I read, but never, it seems,
remember things I _haven't_ read), but not always where I read them.
Every so often we discuss bread and butter, and I remember that I
once read an English account of weird Huguenot schoolchildren eating
same, but can never remember the source. I once hunted it down
because I got tired of not knowing. Posted documentation to this
list. And promptly forgot it again. I read it in a book, though ;-).

I'm sure it has something to do with my pants...

I think the greater danger, from a reasoning standpoint, comes when
we accept some documented concept as empirical fact because we A)
read it in a book, or B) read it in 287 books, and immediately
dismiss the 288th book which disagrees with the other 287.

And then there seems to be a phenomenon which may or may not be
peculiar to Laurels, wherein they read one book on a given topic
(we're supposed to broaden our horizons and learn new things whenever
possible), and are suddenly experts on that topic. Doesn't matter if
the author of the book never actually shoed a horse before writing
that book on shoeing horses. It got published, and is therefore
empirical fact to some people.

As far as solving problems like this goes, I think we could all stand
to remember that both "I read it in a book," and "This is well
documented in such-and-such a manuscript source from the early 15th
century, and commented on by Professor So-and-So of Such-and-Such
University, in This Book, ISBN Blah Blah Blah," are both statements
equating to, "Here's why I think what I think, rightly or wrongly."
Similarly, when more information is requested, we should not assume
it's anything more than that, and react to such a request as if
someone had said, "Hey, Stultus Maximus, you're wrong and here's
where the whole world finds out about it."

Do people like that name, BTW? Sometimes I think of changing mine...

Adamantius