[Sca-cooks] You know you're in the SCA when... (was Hard liquor in period recipes, was Adamantius pants)

rtanhil rtanhil at fast.net
Thu Dec 9 07:48:34 PST 2004

The following quoted reference is included only to
illustrate a point I find amusing. I don't find it offensive
in any way (and hope others don't either). I notice it most
in the SCA, although I suppose that if I hung out in more
academic circles I might notice it there, too.

As a group, we expect footnoted discussions.

"I read it in a book" is a common supporting argument, but
lots of things are written in books, and not all of them are
true. When reading a book for factual information, the first
thing I turn to is the bibliography. If there isn't any, or
if seems inadequate, I tend to regard the contents of a book
with scepticism and tend to read mostly for broad ideas, if
I read it at all. If the bibliography is extensive and
includes a number of primary sources, I tend to read with
more of an eye for details and try to remember the title and
author, if nothing else, to be able to point to it later and
say "I read it here."

I'm not trying to discourage this. We're all trying to make
our game more real. We just need to remember not to take it
personally.

Berelinde